African liveability Public places

Heerengracht – The gentlemen’s walk

default-image

Heerengracht (“Gentlemen’s Walk”) was the name given to the road that became Adderley Street in 1850 and is South Africa’s oldest thoroughfare: it linked the Grand Parade to the Company Gardens (which extended further into Adderley Street than at present). When the Foreshore was reclaimed in 1938, a new boulevard that extended from the end of Adderley Street to the sea was re-named Heerengracht. Today Heerengracht is a boulevard with wide lanes lined with palm trees and water flowing down the road’s centre. As a spot to linger, it can be hard to beat – sitting in the shade alongside the flowing water with a direct view up the boulevard to Table Mountain.

Back to Top