The City of Cape Town has invited local artists to submit their designs for artworks on the walls of the newest MyCiTi bus stations which are about to be completed. The first MyCiTi bus stations at the Civic Centre, Cape Town Stadium and Cape Town International Airport have all been adorned with artworks which make them attractive public spaces. The new, smaller stations are currently being completed for the rollout of the service to the West Coast, along the Atlantis corridor, and there is an opportunity to incorporate artworks in the design of the entrance areas.
“The artworks should identify the MyCiTi bus stations along the West Coast route and take inspiration from the unique locations as well as the historical and geographic context of the area,” said the City’s Media Manager, Kylie Hatton.
The artworks will have a lifespan of about four to five years, after which they may be replaced with new works. The City will consider commissions for the following IRT stations:
Woodstock (on new bus-way, just west of Church Street)
- Paarden Eiland (on new bus-way, north of intersection with Paarden Eiland Road)
- Neptune (on new bus-way, just south of intersection with Neptune Street)
- Section (on new bus-way, just north of intersection with Section Street)
- Vrystaat (on new bus-way, north of intersection with Vrystaat Road)
- Zoarvlei (on new bus-way, near Milner Street intersection with R27) REV 1
- Lagoon Beach (on R27, about 70 metres south of Boundary Road)
- Woodbridge (on R27, about 70 metres south of Loxton Road)
- Milnerton (on R27, about 40 metres north of Broad Road)
- Racecourse (on R27, just north of Racecourse Road)
- Sunset Beach (on R27, just north of Ocean Way)
- Bayside (on Blaauwberg Road, between intersections with R27 and Raats/Pentz Drives)
- Granger Bay (on Granger Bay Boulevard, near access to Fort Wynyard)
The deadline for the first round of submissions is 13:00 on 19 October 2010.
All interested artists can visit City of Cape Town or e-mail for more information about the design and available budget, as well as the terms and conditions that are applicable. Artwork must be completed and installed before the end of 2010.